Monday 6 May 2013

I thought I'd take a picture or two.........

Gardening used to be a passion of mine before my accident - I had a greenhouse grew all my own flowers and veg from seed and generally spent many happy hours pricking out seedlings and tending tomatoes, cucumbers and the like.  But green houses and gardens aren't that wheelchair friendly and beautiful green swards of grass are a definite no-no as are gravel paths and cobble stones...  I still, however, like getting my hands in soil - never wear gloves - and generally pottering around in the garden. 

So Mr S and I went for raised beds, proper raised beds about two feet high, so that I could still get my hands dirty without falling out of my chair!  Finding after building one half that he really wasn't a bricks and mortar man Mr S built the second side out of timber (mostly left over from the construction of the roof to our extension and not designed to be used outside) and for nigh on five years they have done a great job, but the timber although we gave it a coat of preservative hasn't stood the test of time - we noticed that one side had a definite bow as the timber rotted and the soil pushed outwards....  Here I must comment on the fact that the brick wall, while not pretty was still standing vertical!!  But time had come to replace said beds with something more permanent.  We found the ideal replacement whilst watching Dragon's Den - WoodBlocX - although I seem to remember that some of the Dragon's weren't as impressed as we were..... viva Peter Jones!!




These are the blocks and the website says if you can build a wall with Lego then you can construct one with WoodBlocX - so Mr S ordered said blocks and last Saturday we started on the refurbishment of our garden walls.


Ably assisted by Daddy's little helper.................


All this in one afternoon....................



Then I left Mr S to it while I swanned off to Wonderwool and returned to find - the wall from the Black Lady end showing the water feature and the herb bed done.

 
Monday saw even more progress - this a really easy peasy way of building walls!
 
Here is the Master at work on Monday morning, and by evening apart from the clearing up and a few cosmetic touches, and more top soil -  il est fait!


 
Some views - from the sitting room door........

 
Looking towards the Black Lady....

 
The Soft Fruit end.........................................
 
And finally and 'in progress' shot of the foreman!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails