Wednesday 27 February 2013

Better than Gold Dust!

Its been a busy weekend, Saturday was the SpinDyeWeavers monthly meeting and Sunday was Unravel - so a fibre full weekend of joy!

This was my second visit to Unravel and it is well worth the journey and certainly lights up an otherwise dreary month.  Also in the week I was lucky enough to get two balls of the St Kilda Laceweight Yarn a special blend of Boreray and Soay!  I must admit that I did gulp a bit at the price, but when you considered that the Boreray had been collected from the shepherds and sorted by one person and then de-haired mostly by hand, an absolute bargain at £20 a ball!!  See the full story here.


This is purest Boreray lace yarn available at the present.  The next batch included Shetland in the blend to make the rare Boreray go further.  Boreray is on the critical list, which means that there are less than 300 breeding ewes in exsistence so anything that makes the keeping of this ancient breed going should be supported IMO.  Apparently the fleeces had been thought worthless and burnt - sacrilege!
 
At Unravel I was able to obtain two more balls of the next batch of St Kilda Lace avec Shetland

 

Liz Lovick (Northernlace on Ravelry) has designed a shawl and a scarf particularly for this yarn based loosely on the shawls worn by the women on St Kilda.  I waiting not very patiently for the pattern to be released which should be any day soon! It requires three balls, so I have the choice of dark centre and light edge or vice versus but which that is the question.



My other purchases at Unravel were fairly modest, some other rare breed yarns for the SDW stand and more natural British wool for my soon to be revealed sheep wreath.  Plus some Jamieson 2ply sweater yarn and some T-shirt yarn for baskets.

I did have a spin on a Schacht Matchless and I have to say that I would sell some of my wheels to get my hands on one of these beauties, pure spinning heaven.  I am seriously considering the single treadle version - I could pick it up at Wonderwool if I ordered it next month..................

Yesterday, I went to a certain large out of town craft store in search of stick on eyes for my felted sheep key rings (another on going project yet to be revealed) and while there I happened to notice an expensive fibre, not the mind boggling £817 a kilo vicuna! 

But a very basic felting fibre, probably Corriedale, sold in 10 gram packs at £1.29 or £129.00 a kilo - not a bad mark up when you consider that you can buy a kilo of Corriedale for £16 or dyed Merino tops at £27 a kilo!  This fibre is more expensive than the elusive gold dust, which can be purchased on the black market at £28 a kilo - and no before you ask I didn't indulge myself!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails