Thursday 6 May 2010

Facing Demons




















I have just realised that I faced one of my worst demons on Tuesday and beat it.

Ever since the silly accident that put me in a wheelchair (well falling down steps is silly really!) and from when I started to drive again I have this 'fear', and I am not sure fear is a strong enough word to describe the feeling, but I'll go with fear, about what would happen if I had an accident and couldn't get out of the car.

Well it happened I had an accident and was trapped for nearly an hour..

I didn't start screaming and or get hysterical, I stayed calm - opened the passenger window so Mr S could climb out. Which meant he had to undo his seat belt so he fell on top of me, wasn't expecting that - don't know why! Turned the engine off, removed the keys as instructed (don't know why diesel does explode or burn) and found the map book to protect my hand from the broken glass so that I could take some of my weight (jolly good job I've lost so much weight in the past months) and settled Molly who was curled up on the corner of, what I now realise was the side of the windscreen, as good a gold.


I managed to find my phone and I even got hold of a bottle of water, which the paramedics wouldn't let me drink, and waited and answered all the silly questions like what's your name, where are, car reg, date of birth etc.

Just goes to show that when we are faced with our demons they don't have to win.....

5 comments:

  1. Well that is not pretty, I always find that sort of thing very distressing to see. However, modern vehicles are supposed protect you and obviously did that job well. As always Gill, I love your attitude to life, but please rest a bit now, it was still a terrible shock for you. The upside for us of course is that you will be joining us at SDW for a few months at least. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh my goodness, I have just found some downtime to catch up with life outside my box in general... and can't believe what I am seeing and reading...

    You and your good man (and poor darling pet) are incredibly lucky....apart from losing the holiday that is...

    My thoughts are with you all.... hugs from Shani (and Bruce who will be equally aghast when he reads this...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, hope you are ok...your words seem so matter of fact, must have been a very scary experience for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that reality has struck home yet. But I really appreciate all comments and good wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really sorry that this happened to you. :( Glad you're all ok, though. *hugs*

    SJ

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails