Sunday 21 March 2010

Getting Organised

Made a new spring resolution to organise my stash, the sitting room and bedroom etc! Because I was having a great deal of trouble finding yarns and fibre that I knew that I had but where oh where had I put them? As we live in a small bungalow it shouldn't be that hard to locate something and I have a dedicated space for my stash - which I have to say is jammed packed........



Yesterday I sorted and photographed my entire stash and it took a couple of hours - but I thought that it would be worthwhile and afterwards I felt very self-righteous, unfortunately it doesn't make finding anything any easier - but now I know that I am not imagining a yarn I know I have it and which box its in..............

I have been very busy spinning the yarn from my last session with the dye pot and got to wondering what on earth I am going to do with the yarn that I have created. First I thought that I should check out for weight and eveness. So I spun a sample of Rainbow from the World of Wool


It isn't as bright as I thought it would be, perhaps this is because it was only 20grams! I navajo plied it and tried to keep colours together, but it still looks a bit muddy to me! However, I got 51 metres from the 20 grams at between 16-17 wpi (wraps per inch) - which equates to at least a 4ply weight.

I have now knitted this up in a test swatch - beginning on 2.5mm needles for the rib and first rows (I have separated by garter stitching either the first or last five stitches)and changing to 3.25mm,3mm and 2.75mm needles.



The best stitch definition is definitly with the smaller needles where the yarn kniited up at 28 stitchs and 40 rows to 10cm. I am very pleased that I can spun this consistantly, but now I need to spin different weight yarns - DK, Aran etc.......

1 comment:

  1. This is really lovely, nice clear colours and the photograph demonstrates the stitch definition well.

    I used to waste a lot of time pondering about spinning different weights, but am finding now that, for me at least, it is about starting off with my source material and then matching the right whirl on whichever wheel or spindle to it. This to achieve the texture and bring out the potential I saw in the original dyed/undyed fibre - the thickness and the project then seem to follow on from that.

    Now I have got to the point where I can see some fibre on a shelf and from touch (and smell, don't know why.. not very logical!) can visualise the potential. This can change and I take another view after dyeing it, so I don't miss out on serendipity.

    Then this is the time I look to my tools, like I would paintbrushes to achieve the affect.

    Must make a comment on your organisation - brilliant.. should save you hours. On my To Do list..hugs Shani

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails