Sunday 28 February 2010

Yesterday

Just had a feeling in my water that yesterday was going to a great day and it was. The workshop was Black on Black, how to produce some fantastic colourways using black - which is also a colour itself.

Well the results were spectacular and great fun. We used red, blue, yellow(daffodil and lemon) and chestnut mixed with black in different proportions and came up with some really outstanding colours.



The colours I used were - Burgundy (red with black)Khaki (daffodil yellow and black) Gold (Chestnut and Daffodil Yellow) Green (Yellow and Blue) and Navy (Blue and Black) ideally these should used at 500ml to 100grams of fibre but I was hoping for a more muted effect so used about 400mls and left some white.

This is result and I can't wait to spin it up.

The other experiment was dying in a ball and for this we used some lovely cashmere and silk donated to the group by Chris. The idea is very similar to one in a new book I have just bought on dying by Gail Callahan 'Hand Dying Yarn and Fleece'
First we balled up the cashmere and silk loosely (or as in my case not loosely enough) and soaked - put the dye in a dish and allow the ball to absorb then cook and repeat the process dying the other side of the ball - it is so simple.



Because my ball was too tight the dye didn't penetrate to the centre, I have two options re-wind and try to match the colours or leave well alone........

Anyway now off to finish the transforamtion of my Trad......

2 comments:

  1. Hello there from across the pond!
    I was forwarded the link to your post and enjoyed reading about you. You certainly have overcome many challenges and are an inspiration.
    I am Gail Callahan, the author of the book you referenced. Thank you for talking about if on your blog. I am hoping this book will "hatch" many new dyers. It is so much simplier than people think, do you agree? Again, my thanks. Best, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely colours Gill - impressive stuff...

    hugs Shani

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails